Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Motoring in Malawi?

Motoring in Malawi? Some people may ask, what can Malawi say about motring? Well first, this website has been created to show my love of good cars and share this love with everybody else, car lovers and haters alike. I want to share my knowledge of cars and also guide people to the right cars in Malawi.

When alot of people hear of Malawi they have a picture of a poor country, yes I know we are poor but the people here have a great appetite for rides. I will feature the best rides in Malawi as I come accross them and also the worst.

I will share experiences and encounters while driving in Malawi. There are roads which are just so wonderful to drive on, these include the Chiweta road, this road is so enchanting, hills on one side and the lake on the other, it makes me want to buy a supercar and take it there. The Lower Shire road, pictured above is also perfect, its got steep slopes and sharp bends, a real test for the perfect marriage between driver and car.

Now let me talk about the car industry in Malawi. On the roads of malawi you will generally find japanese cars, these are mostly used cars bought from Japan, Singapore and UAE. For most people the first car will always be a Japanese used car. Then there is are 4x4 pickups and SUVs. Malawians, despite being once colonised by Britain have a car appetite like that of Americans, they look for size and power am afraid beauty and speed is not high on the list. Most brand new small cars are company cars. I can bet that if i go to a shopping mall and find a 2007 Ford Focus, there is a 99.99% chance that it is a company car.

Cars in Malawi are bought and sold according to spare parts availability. Thats why you will see alot of Toyotas, but i always say, if you can bring a Jag to Malawi, how can you not be able to bring a shock absober?

Anyways, its still a country for petrol heads and petrol haters alike.

No comments: